Saturday, 14 May 2011

Water 4


This Tudor chap came this morning from Jo.  I love the beautifully aged card and the Haldane quote, thank you, Jo.  Consultation with learned medievalist husband and Google leads me to believe him to be Thomas Cranmer in old age, but several Archbishes of the period look quite similar.  I'd wondered at first if he might be Archbishop Pole - interesting to me as I was once able to actually hold an original document signed by him.  Another great addition to my collection - we're all going to have a lovely selection at the end of this, aren't we?

9 comments:

Jill said...

Brilliant idea! I'm starting to put some serious thought into this topic now! Four weeks to go.

Joanna said...

Glad he got to you safe and sound. You are correct, he is Thomas Cranmer - Archbishop during the reign of Henry VIII and largely responsible for the king's divorce from Catherine of Aragon, and his subsequent separation from the Roman Catholic church.

This quote is, strangely, one that my darling husband trots out whenever the subject of water comes up, having learnt it at school (bless him, he always uses the teacher's voice as well for added dramatic effect). So it's well known in the family and not some random quote that I found! After your recent water problems I thought you might have seen enough of the wet stuff for a while and so took a more lateral view.

x

Jane Housham said...

He is a beauty!

Gina said...

These cards are really building up into beautiful collections. Another great one.

Jee said...

My husband does that quoting teacher in teacher's voice thing too, Jo. It's a great quote.

Menopausal musing said...

Another lovely card from Jo which shows her delicate touch. A great quote too..........

Chrissie said...

Didn't know that quote before, but I shall be using it a lot from now on! Another beautifully conceived card for your collection.

bad penny said...

I love the story behind the quote. My husband trots out little pearls of wisdom every time we drive to Scotland ( can't for the life of me remember one now ! )
A lovely card from Jo - the image is fabulous & the quote perfect.

Printed Material said...

Jane, this is a wonderful response to your theme, done with Jo's usual aplomb. What a treasure.