Sunday, 29 May 2011

Taking Flight 5


I was out all day yesterday so did not see my postcard until late afternoon. I came home to find this lovely piece of snail mail from Jill but also all those emails detailing Blogger issues and failed posts etc so I decided to let the dust settle and wait until today. Jill has sent me a potted history of flight with some key dates to note. In the accompanying letter she related how her grandmother could remember the Wright Brothers and the first manned flight in an aircraft. Her card reflects heroes more of our generation and ironically I had only been reading about Yuri Gagarin the day before. Following a recommendation from Jane H. I had sent for a copy of 'Objects' by Martin Parr and it includes  a number of pages showing Gagarin memorabilia. Even to this day he still an icon in Russia. He did not deal well with his fame, succumbing to alcoholism, but that does not matter to people - he was after all the first man in space and his picture graces everything from tea towels to watches and alarm clocks. Go Yuri! Thanks Jill - especially for using the stamps. That works for me|!

8 comments:

marigold jam said...

Brilliant take on the theme - Jill can be counted on coming up with something imagiative as always!

Jane Housham said...

Lovely! I particularly like the young astronaut

Menopausal musing said...

I feel the same about this: Jill can make each piece have a different feel and yet it always "works". A great card.

bad penny said...

Teriffic ! How on earth did Jane make her personalised franked stamp ? Very inventive.
My father in law met Yuri Gagarin & got his autograph in the sixties. He was invited to a festival having won the Warsaw Berlin Prague cycle race in 1951.

Jee said...

Did you hear the Radio4 play about Gagarin? Fascinating. Love this, yet another 'different' take on the theme.

Chrissie said...

No wonder you love this Lesley, it's right up your street and beautifully executed as always.

Joanna said...

Love this postcard, such a different take on the theme. My son informed me today that Gagarin died in a car crash - how ironic to survive going into space and then dying in a car crash. Go figure!

Gina said...

Another fabulous postcard and original take on the theme.