Saturday, 2 April 2011

Chrissie's 'Overhead' card

It was such fun getting Chrissie's card this morning. I actually heard it plop through the letterbox. I sliced the package open with a scalpel and here's what I found inside: this great interpretation of God creating Adam on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, which is not only overhead, but was over poor Michelangelo's head when he painted it. This is the added level of the card, which includes the text of Michelangelo's wonderfully vivid complaints about his toil, printed on gauze and stitched over the surface of the card:
"My brush, above me all the time, dribbles paint so my face makes a fine floor for droppings... My painting is dead..." Well, I've got news for you, Michele, old boy...
     The back of the card has an Italian stamp and a message from Rome. It's terrific.
     Thanks so much, Chrissie.

Jane (H) x

8 comments:

bad penny said...

Fabulous card & I love how it was put together. These cards are amazing to see.

Printed Material said...

A masterpiece by another old master.... I know Chrissie.... less of the old - but definitely a masterpiece. Lesley

marigold jam said...

Lovely - some wonderful interpretations of the themes aren't there?

Jee said...

Clever idea - love the text on gauze.

Jill said...

I keep misreading this title as 'overheard', but this fits both categories, definitely a masterpiece.

Menopausal musing said...

A wonderful interpretion of Jane's theme. Stunning, Chrissie.

Am having a pretty grotty day in terms of internet connection. Thought I would mention that in case I disappear off the scene and you don't seem to be getting comments from me.
x

Joanna said...

Brilliant card!

I love the prose - he even says, "I am not in the right place - I am not a painter!" Well if he's not a painter........!

x

Chrissie said...

Lovely to see everyone's themes interpreted, so much inspiration!

Glad you like your first card Jane.
x